[Gllug] [OT] Asking to be spammed?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu Dec 21 11:27:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, December 21, 2006 10:20 am, John G Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:54:19 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
> <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>    I receive very little junk, perhaps because ALL junk received here
>> is reported to the relevant ISP and BCCd to an information exchange
>> as well as being appended to a junk file.
>
> How do you know what the relevant ISP is, given that spammers use all
> kinds of tricks to hide their identities?

Indeed. A few years ago I used to routinely examine the headers and do
this, but the volume of spam is just too great. Now I operate two email
addresses - a demon one that I have had for around 13 years and which was
regularly used for usenet postings back in the day and which generates so
much spam that not even Demon's filters and spamassassin catch it all and
a dyndns one that I set up myself about eight months ago and which has yet
(AFAICS) to get a single spam mail.

I always use the Demon one when signing up to anything I have doubts about
as it has the ISP level filtering as well as SA