[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Juergen Schinker ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net
Sun Dec 17 13:40:46 UTC 2006

Am Sa, 16.12.2006, 23:40, schrieb Mike Brodbelt:
> Juergen Schinker wrote:
>> i pointed that out
>>> Actually, I'm extremely interested in this debate for practical
>>> reasons. Debian seems to be heavily defeating Gentoo, so far.
>>>
>> Naa your so wrong...Gentoo is heavily defeating Debian, it's
>> concept is better, but try it out...
>
> This has been a longish thread already, and AFAICS you're the only one
> defending Gentoo. That's hardly "heavy defeat" for Debian, regardless of
> the fact that I still haven't seen any credible arguments for Gentoo's
> supremacy.
>
> So far , and paraphrasing your arguments slightly, we seem to come down
> to:-
>
> 1/ Gentoo users aren't dependent on how developers built their packages
>
> Debian users tend to be happy with the way software has been packaged,
> and when they aren't, there's always "apt-get source foo; vi foo/rules;
> cd foo && dpkg-buildpackage". And you only have to compile the packages
> where you need something different, not the *entire* *system*.
>
> 2/ Gentoo users can download a full ISO instead of a small netinst CD
>
> Sorry, are you seriously claiming this is an advantage ?

Sorry you misunderstood this

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

there is a minimal install via Internet

> 3/ Debian stable is old
>
> ...but Debian unstable isn't, and on a desktop, you should run Etch or
> Sid. On a server, known stability is *far* more important than bleeding
> edge software, and if you don't realise this you've never run a serious
> system that has people depending on it. And AFAICT, there's no such
> beast as "Gentoo stable"

It is ,its just not called like that coz it is the default install when
you don't pull pkgs from the unstable branch

> 4/ Better performance
>
> For most apps, this is irrelevant - an optimised ls is hardly a win. In
> some few specific cases, you may indeed be better off (mplayer comes to
> mind, but even there, as long as you can playback full frame, it's fast
> enough). However, the cost of that is a vast amount of compute cycles
> wasted building stuff over & over again.

you have never had the pleasure of optimized mplayer (or openoffice)

> The best case I can see for using Gentoo is for learning about the build
> tools and how the system hangs together. For that though Linux from
> Scratch would be a better choice, on a test system (or an emulated VM on
> your Debian box:-) ).

No i run Debian only in an VM on a Gentoo Host;
and on my PDA is a Debian based system (Openzaurus)

> Can you actually present any compelling arguments for Gentoo, or is your
> preference just a personal religious thing?

a personal thing as i mentioned before
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk