[Gllug] CUPS over a linksys box

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Fri Dec 8 00:07:20 UTC 2006

I have printer which is working on a ubuntu edgy box. I've set cups to
publish the printer. The ubuntu box is plugged in to a CAT5 port on a
linksys ADSL router.

I have a number of macs and at some point linux machines which speak
wifi to the same linksys router.

The macs can see the router, they can see the internet and can ssh to
the ububntu box. All are on 192.168.1.*. Here's a diagram attempt:

-----------                ----------------     ----------
-powerbook--)))  wifi  ((((-linksys router------ubuntu box
-----------                ----------------     ----------

                                ADSL
                            -------------
                              tinternet
                            ------------

For some reason the macs don't magically see the edgy printer shares or
samba shares. Given that a mac uses samba and cups under the hood, I'm
told that this should work.

But it isn't. I'm a little lost as to whether it's the mac (firewall is
off), the linksys router blocking required broadcast packets, or the
edgy box doing something.

Both machines can broadcast ping and see the mac and the linksys box,
but not the ubuntu box. iptables --list on the ubuntu box brings up
nothing. firewall is off on the mac.

Has anyone done similar or can offer things to try to narrow it down?

TIA

have fun,