[Gllug] CUPS over a linksys box

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 00:45:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:07:20AM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> I have printer which is working on a ubuntu edgy box. I've set cups to
> publish the printer. The ubuntu box is plugged in to a CAT5 port on a
> linksys ADSL router.

Couple of things might be fouling you up..

cups has an ability to broadcast announcements for printers. This will
obviously only work within a broadcast domain (i.e. not across a
non-bridging router).

Windows (i.e. samba) shares also use broadcasts for announcements.

This means you won't automatically 'see' things if you're on a different
subnet.

1) For samba, use WINS and publish the WINS server(s) address(es) via
DHCP (the linksys box may not allow you to do this)

1a) You can do funky stuff with browse lists in SMB. Read
BROWSING.txt(.gz) in the samba distribution for the gory details

2) Get multicast working - I'm pretty sure cups can announce printers
via a multicast address (though I may be wrong...). This would require
cups (or perhaps any IPP implementation?) on your client hosts, which
may not be practical.

3) stick a cups/samba server on all your subnets