[Gllug] [OT] Asking to be spammed?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Dec 21 14:37:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 12:33:23PM +0000, Benedikt Heinen wrote:
> >> What I've *started* doing now is to assign addresses to specific
> >> subdomains that get created for the purpose  (i.e. my current sender
> >> address is in a subdomain I'm using for mailing lists). Newer addresses
> >> have a sub-domain per address - this has the advantage that if I want to
> >> turn it off, I kill the sub-domain, and the spammer cannot even look up
> >> the mx for that address any more...
> >
> >Needing to go to those sort of lengths is sort of the wrong solution. I
> >don't obfuscate my email address, have used the same address for over 6
> >years and get perhaps one spam message per week.
> >
> >It's perfectly possible to build effective filtering rather than having
> >to deal with a whole rack of email address and subdomains.
>
> I agree that you can do a lot with effective filtering (my main email
> address has 3 spamfilters on it; and I have stopped looking at email if at
> least 2 of them agree it's spam...

What is the latest thinking on spam filtering?  My solution (using
SpamAssassin) is becoming increasingly slow and ineffective, and I'd
like to hear what other people are doing.

> Still, having the possibility to cut off spam by using an approach like mx
> subdomains has advantages in terms of bandwidth and local resource usage.
>
> Besides, once you've set up using a database for MX info, creating and
> deleting subdomains is a snap...

It does sound good.  But surely you'd want to autogenerate domains.
After all, deciding a few years down the line that your mailing list
domain ml.example.com is getting too much spam isn't much fun if you
then need to resubscribe to every list _and_ everywhere your email
address is archived now becomes obsolete.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!