[Gllug] [OT] Asking to be spammed?

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 14:45:39 UTC 2006

Richard Jones asked about latest thinking on spam filtering........

I guess everyone has a different solution, dependant on their circumstances
and requirements.

For us,  we need not only to avoid mailboxes getting cluttered with the stuff
but also to avoid valuable bandwith on our only-512k adsl circuit being
wasted [ we are so far from the damn exchange thats the best we can get :-(  ].

A mixture of greylisting, white/backlisting and spamassassin seems to work
pretty well, although I note that the stuff that does get past greylisting
sometimes also gets past spamassassin  (eg the new breed of spam with a block
of random text followed by a gif attachment - which I am told contains a 'hot
stock tip').  That may of course be because our spamassassin is out of date
- the latest version wont install on our debian system.

However, its difficult to see how spamassassin can cope with random text from
a random machine !!

Tim