[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 17 00:49:06 UTC 2006

On 16 Dec 2006, Martin A. Brooks uttered the following:
> Really?  You take the most heavily tested code you can and run it on
> the most stable platform you can find.  With gentoo your debugging
> pool consists of one person: you. With debian, I have the input of
> _thousands_ of systems all running the exact same binaries.  Not just
> the same source code, the _exact same binary_.

That depends. I use gentoo and self-compiled systems and (when I can get
hold of them) weird architectures because I *want* to tease bugs and
unexpected nonportabilities out of programs, so I can fix them.

But I don't imagine that I'm making anything more stable by doing so.
(It's more `true to the old 1980s Free Software way' when men were
real men and built everything from source, but it's certainly not the
most *robust* approach.)

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'