[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Fri Dec 15 14:17:38 UTC 2006

John Winters wrote:
> I confess I haven't used Gentoo in a few years so I'm not familiar with
> its configuration process.  How does it achieve the same degree of
> guaranteed stability?

I expect the way to do it in Gentoo would be to pin your key packages at
the particular major versions using portage configuration files.  It
seems that this is a known issue among Gentoo developers, but not much
has been done about it:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html

Also, there are releases, though not really in the traditional sense of
a release constituting a set of packages of certain versions - more of
an update of the packages distributed on the install CD. With an
installed system you just have to update a symlink to a make profile to
change the 'release' you're on:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2006.1/2006.1.xml

IMX the stability is poor compared to binary package distributions, but
I have a lot of 'unstable' ebuilds installed because I wanted to play
with stuff.  Also I've never bothered to install the utilities which
capture all the "You should now edit your config file to say <x>" that
gets lost when doing a long emerge so I've probably brought some
instability on myself.  However I was using Gentoo 'for fun' rather than
as a regular day to day OS so I could put up it.

I don't think the performance gains are entirely imaginary.  Certainly
on the laptop I had it installed on it made things seem much faster than
the same laptop running Ubuntu (I set the compiler to optimise for size
of executable).  I also saw some performance measurements once (though I
can't find any reference to them now) which indicated Firefox could be
speeded up by 5% to 10% by using the extended instruction set available
in SSE/MMX CPUs.  In practice though, I think the average Gentoo desktop
user ends up switching on all the use flags and therefore enjoys the
same amount of bloat you'd get with a binary package distribution.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk