[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Juergen Schinker ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net
Fri Dec 15 15:17:22 UTC 2006

Am Fr, 15.12.2006, 14:17, schrieb Rob Crowther:
> John Winters wrote:
>> I confess I haven't used Gentoo in a few years so I'm not familiar with
>> its configuration process.  How does it achieve the same degree of
>> guaranteed stability?
>
> I expect the way to do it in Gentoo would be to pin your key packages at
> the particular major versions using portage configuration files.  It
> seems that this is a known issue among Gentoo developers, but not much
> has been done about it:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html
>
> Also, there are releases, though not really in the traditional sense of
> a release constituting a set of packages of certain versions - more of
> an update of the packages distributed on the install CD. With an
> installed system you just have to update a symlink to a make profile to
> change the 'release' you're on:

yeah but it's not critical if you don't

> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2006.1/2006.1.xml
>
> IMX the stability is poor compared to binary package distributions, but

no it's not just stay stable

> I have a lot of 'unstable' ebuilds installed because I wanted to play
> with stuff.  Also I've never bothered to install the utilities which
> capture all the "You should now edit your config file to say <x>" that
> gets lost when doing a long emerge so I've probably brought some
> instability on myself.  However I was using Gentoo 'for fun' rather than
> as a regular day to day OS so I could put up it.
>
> I don't think the performance gains are entirely imaginary.  Certainly
> on the laptop I had it installed on it made things seem much faster than
> the same laptop running Ubuntu (I set the compiler to optimise for size
> of executable).

Than try mplayer

 I also saw some performance measurements once (though I
> can't find any reference to them now) which indicated Firefox could be
> speeded up by 5% to 10% by using the extended instruction set available
> in SSE/MMX CPUs.  In practice though, I think the average Gentoo desktop
> user ends up switching on all the use flags and therefore enjoys the
> same amount of bloat you'd get with a binary package distribution.

the average Linux user doesn't use Gentoo
the experienced one use Gentoo and they don't switch every USE FLAG on
that would be really stupid

the trick is to leave things you don't need away
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk