[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 20 10:28:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> It's more important never to be in a position where this kind of magic
> is necessary.  If you are responsible for crucial business data (or
> specially configured systems in a key role) and you find yourself
> resorting to this level to get it back, your employers have reason to
> question your suitability for the job.  Whether they are work systems or
> home machines, you are far, *far* more likely to see general disk
> failures or data corruption than problems with a partition table.  Cue
> Martin's standard rant about backups, because good backups protect you
> from all three scenarios whereas printing off your parition table might
> rescue you from one.

That's very true however sods law dictates that upon failure of your disks
you may well discover that you have problems restoring from your backups.

Also I've had a situation where restoring from backup would have taken
24-48 hours while restoring the partition table which had been damaged
took 20 minutes and allowed me to get back to a working system far more
quickly.

I don't suggest that such methods are a replacement for backups but rather
an element in a defence in depth approach.

Now I use an online backup system which makes life even easier.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98