[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Dec 20 12:17:02 UTC 2006

On 20/12/06, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Also I've had a situation where restoring from backup would have taken
> 24-48 hours while restoring the partition table which had been damaged
> took 20 minutes and allowed me to get back to a working system far more
> quickly.

That's exactly the point.  In the past, on poorly-protected home
machines, it was all too common for friends of mine to call me after
they'd contracted a virus that had busted their partition table, and
most of the time they hadn't done any sort of backup at all.  Boot
from a purpose-built floppy and normally you could have them sorted
much quicker than a restore from backup would have taken, just by
searching for the right magic numbers.  One friend, though, had an
encrypted fs on his Mac that had on it his life's work, a novel he'd
spent years on, which he lost to a boot-sector virus and unfortunately
none of us could restore it.  Even to this day, fifteen years on, I
still don't think he's fully got over it.

Regards,
Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk