[Gllug] Wireless encryption

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Dec 27 11:01:36 UTC 2006

On 12/27/06, Juergen Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> wrote:

> have you ever thought about protection on the router

Limiting by MAC address is simply not enough.  Hiding the SSID is not
enough.  Encryption *is* the principal issue at stake here.  If you
want people to eavesdrop traffic on your wireless network or use it
for nefarious purposes, then you'd better have a good explanation for
your ISP when they start kicking you off.  You'll find that most ISPs
will have something in their terms and conditions to ensure that you
properly protect access to your equipment otherwise you'll be liable
for all damages that may be caused by unauthorised access.

> i start to shiver

Clearly you have never had the experience of running or providing ISP
services.  You should - it's an eye opener.

> it is and i stand by my opinion

Let's just say that if I found that your router was responsible for
spyware, attempted DDoS, or otherwise unsocial and bandwidth hogging
activities due to an unsecured router, your explanation would not sit
well with me.

> what would you do if a neighbour comes with a long Network cable
> and ask you to give him Internet Access for whatever

I wouldn't let them.  Or  let me put it this way - if I did, I would
set-up a proxy so that I can keep control over their activities - they
wouldn't be plugged directly into the main router.

Regards,

Martyn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk