[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Dec 6 03:05:56 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, 5 Dec 2006, Jason Clifford wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, David Damerell wrote:
>>SPF merits aside, why bother with a secondary MX?
>Because there are lots of servers running broken MTAs which will bounce or
>drop message if the primary MX is not available. Others may be configured
>not to retry for long periods of time.

That is _much_ less true than it was. I really don't see it as a
serious problem compared with the problems of secondary MXes which
aren't controlled by the same policy as the primary. (If you _do_
control your secondary MX, great. If it's controlled by an ISP, expect
the spammers to try it first.)

--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores: