[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 6 07:25:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, David Damerell wrote:

> That is _much_ less true than it was.

Can you guarantee that every host on the internet is free of that
problem? Can you guarantee that all senders of legitimate email are free
of it?

If not then it's still a problem.

Moreover the problem often arises not because of the software but because
of stupid admins and there is no shortage of those.

> I really don't see it as a serious problem compared with the problems of
> secondary MXes which aren't controlled by the same policy as the
> primary. (If you _do_ control your secondary MX, great. If it's
> controlled by an ISP, expect the spammers to try it first.)

Yes this is true. To an extent you can alleviate this by publishing a
lower priority MX record pointing back to your main server on another IP
however ISP backup MX servers cannot run the same priorities as they will
be serving lots of domains - several thousand on ours.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98