[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Dec 15 16:44:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, December 15, 2006 4:24 pm, Pete Ryland wrote:

> Anyway, I don't think anyone will argue with you that in an ideal
> world it would be better to have binaries that don't have extras
> compiled in that you don't need and that are optimized for your
> particular machine.  It's also nice to have the source code there for
> very easy debugging or patching.  However, these benefits seem to be
> outweighed by the costs in time and resources.  It's a nice idea
> though, and I'm glad Gentoo exists, but I don't think it's for me.

I know what you mean :) I've always liked the idea of building a Gentoo
box - seeing a compiler run gives me a great sense of inner warmth (the
fact that my machines are now on average 40 - 50 times faster than the P90
I built my first kernel on 5 years ago means the warmth doesn't last very
long - back then people warned me to expect a build to last several
hours).

But I just don't have the time. The one time I did, it was Gentoo on an
old Sparc box and the thing wouldn't boot off the CD.