[Gllug] Poundhost colo

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Dec 29 22:47:52 UTC 2006

Henrik Morsing wrote:
> Thanks Mart :)

A sample of responses:

"Given that my server is currently offline for the second time in two
days, and the third in a month, I'm a little less than pleased with
their reliability. Traceroute/ping suggests that a whole segment of
their network is down. The outage earlier this month was a DDoS attack,
the month before was a "network outage", the month before that was a
power cut, and I've forgotten what it was the time before that. We
haven't been told (yet) what the problem is this time or yesterday, but
as my server had restarted without a clean shutdown after yesterday's
outage I suspect a power supply problem again. Their billing department
seems a little chaotic, too - I've twice been sent someone else's
invoice, which is a little disturbing (and they don't take Direct Debit,
meaning I have to manually pay by card every month).

Having said that, they're doing a lot of work on the network at the
moment and the updates we get suggest that problems like this are in the
process of being resolved. And, on the plus side, their support team
seem efficient and responsive enough - so much better than my previous
(horrendous) experience at Host Europe that I can almost forgive the
reliability problems, at least for now. So that's a qualified thumbs-up
from me, at least for now, but if things don't improve on the
reliability front then my opinion may well change for the worse."

"They're cheap and not very cheerful"

"Avoid, at least if you're considering using one of their servers.  They
use shit hardware; your (Maxtor) hard drive is guaranteed to fail on
average once every 6 months, they will spend 6 hours telling you they
think it's the motherboard before finally admitting that it's the hard
drive, but they won't have any in stock to replace it with. Furthermore,
they'll then go home and ignore any and all attempts to contact them to
find out what the hell is going on until 10am the following morning, at
which point they'll take another 2 hours to replace your drive.

Their colocation might be better, but this is a bunch of people who move
a server without taking notice of which ethernet card a cable is
connected to, and thus end up plugging it back into the wrong one.  And
then they powercycle your machine to see if that fixes the problem
before connecting a monitor to find out what's going on.

Really, just say no. "
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk