SPAM-HIGH.Re: [Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 15:49:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 11:16:13PM -0000, Juergen Schinker wrote:
> you can have a stable plattform while testing bleeding edge software...

Jumping in a bit late here, I know, but a stable platform to me means
one which doesn't change.

I guess I might consider including the odd obvious, trivial bugfix which
has been thoroughly assessed for possible side-effects (which can rarely
have their absence guaranteed) to be allowed as well, but that's about
my limit.

Give such a stable platform (which I don't see how Gentoo can provide),
you test bleeding edge software by doing a CVS/SVN/git/whatever checkout
and compiling the damn thing.

The problem there is often that bleeding edge software often requires a
bleeding edge platform to build & run on, so you either end up
installing a whole raft of bleeding edge libraries (and perhaps
compilers).

The end result is that bleeding edge and stable are often (many would
say inherently) mutually exclusive.