[Gllug] RE: Wireless encryption

Alex A. Smith MCP asmith at asmhosting.com
Fri Dec 29 14:03:21 UTC 2006

>Abuot wireless security - look here:
>
>http://aircrack-ng.org/
>
>You can easy break WEP encryption.
>MAC filtering is really easy to break (with kismet help...), so, as always, You can do what You want, but it is >better to know what You are doing.

It's easy where there is enough traffic to get weak IV's. Yes all it takes is time but how many next door neighbours are going to deliberately sit there and attack your wireless? I think it's more the casual "Oh look, I can connect to this wireless" or devices randomly connecting of their own accord (Yes it does happen).

If you are really worried about security you'd use WPA - as far as I'm aware the only way to get around that is brute force attacking, which as with anything like that is very hit and miss and time consuming.

WEP encryption, MAC auth, Hidden SSID - they are not the silver bullet that stops everything/everyone but they are enough to put off 99% of people.

Plus if you don't notice someone sat outside your house in a car with a laptop.... ;)

Have a good new year everyone,

Kind Regards,

Alex