[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Dec 16 00:33:44 UTC 2006

Juergen Schinker wrote:
> apps shouldn't stop the evolution of the api/abi...

you are very wrong. Upstream development has almost nothing to do with
local staged production on the platform. by linking the two you are
taking away the entire case for linux in business and linux as a stable
platform. Distro's like Debian, Redhat, SLES to some extent, Ubuntu LTS
are doing _lots_ of good work towards this stabilisation efforts.

<example> amazon.com would be very upset if a php change upstream was to
bring their website down while their developers worked overtime for a
few weeks trying to get their code working against the new libxml that
someone at php.net decided was the way to go forward.</example>

> once in a while developers could customize their apps

sure, and when the time comes and they need newer functionality they
should have the option to upgrade to newer versions. But this choice
must come from the app developers on the platform, and not upstream
component developers that the platform is based on.

> there is never a guarantee that your app is gonna run forever

forever no, but you need a reasonable approach to the issue.

> however i like the Gentoo Approach but maybe it's just my taste

I would be quite interested in knowing what sort of roles you actually
deploy it in ?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk