[Gllug] Mouse problem

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 13:23:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:12:57PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Its a standard PS/2 mouse   !

Then I would look for something like the following (on a recentish 2.6.x
kernel):

input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse as /class/input/input4

> I tried looking in the syslog but couldnt see anything useful.
> Where would I find the X startuplog?

Typically /var/log/Xorg.<screennum>.log but it probably varies from
distribution to distribution.

If you're running XFree86 still, first I must ask why, and second, it
will probably be XFree86.<screennum>.log

<screennum> is likely to be 0 unless you're running multiple heads or X
servers.

> THere is nothing showing on the initial startup to suggest the kernel is
> detecting a mouse.  I tried running mouseconfig and rebooting but that
> achieved nothing either :(

I'd check you have "input" and "psmouse" loaded. They are probably
modules, although I think my kernel has the input core compiled in
directly.