[Gllug] OT: proxy autodetection and DNS

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Fri Dec 8 12:30:44 UTC 2006

I'm doing battle with proxy auto detection and the amazingly messy WPAD
[1]. It seems to work with most browsers -- I can see them hitting the
proxy instead of going direct.

But I'm suprised to see that browsers still do a DNS lookup before they
make the proxy request. My understanding was that a client would do a
dns lookup locally in order to make an http request, but if the browser
was making a proxy request, the dns lookup would be done on the proxy
server.

I can't seem to find the spec that defines this -- am I wrong?

thanks,

Julian

[1] http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/99jul/I-D/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-00.txt