[Gllug] Notebook running Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Dec 3 08:19:40 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 08:44:33PM +0000, Christopher Currie wrote:
[snip]
>> But even if you've used it over there, I think you'd have to pay import duty.
>
> Does anyone know what the rules are?  Do customs routinely add import
> duty to imported computer kit?  How do they know?

If it's being sent over by courier then the courier companies have
import agents who will generally handle the calculation of duty and VAT
and pass the charge on to the recipient.  UPS are absolute crap at this
and will do all sorts of incredible things wrong.  FedEx and DHL are
slightly better, but still prone to making the rules up as they go
along.  It's always worth checking their calculations.  Do not under any
circumstances let anything be sent with the US Postal Service - not
because they're bad but because it means the goods will get into the
hands of Parcel Farce at this end.  It's taken me four months and a
ludicrous amount of work to extract an incoming parcel from Parcel Farce
before now, and this was not an isolated incident.

The shipping company will usually expect you to pay them the duty/VAT
before they'll give you the package.

HM Customs and Excise (as was) are actually quite helpful and at least
used to have a help line which would tell you the correct duty code and
rate of duty for any incoming item.  I have no idea what it would be for
a laptop.

Of course, you might get lucky and have a package slip past without
attracting the attentions of the customs agent.  It does happen
occasionally.

If you are going there personally to get it then the onus is on you to
declare it as you return to the UK.  Of course, if you take an old
laptop bag and put a few stickers on it they might be unwilling to
believe it is actually brand new...

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk