[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Dec 15 16:24:44 UTC 2006

On 15/12/06, Juergen Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Than try mplayer

AFAIK, mplayer is actually a pretty bad example since it should be
quite well optimized in Ubuntu already.  You used to have to select a
version compiled for your sub-arch, but these days it will select
optimized code at runtime.

Anyway, I don't think anyone will argue with you that in an ideal
world it would be better to have binaries that don't have extras
compiled in that you don't need and that are optimized for your
particular machine.  It's also nice to have the source code there for
very easy debugging or patching.  However, these benefits seem to be
outweighed by the costs in time and resources.  It's a nice idea
though, and I'm glad Gentoo exists, but I don't think it's for me.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk