[Gllug] Wireless encryption

Alex A. Smith MCP asmith at asmhosting.com
Wed Dec 27 18:05:45 UTC 2006

>On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:38:44 +0000 (GMT) Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org>
wrote:

>> Here encryption is the only viable protection against having your
>> wireless network abused by others
>
>What about the hardware options? I run a Netgear router which only allows
specified MAC addresses to access it >wirelessly (Is that the right word? My
spellchecker objects to it.). Are you saying this is not enough?

Correct me if I'm wrong - If you're not encrypting your traffic $person will
be able to see all your traffic, as it goes between you and your router -
this may include your MAC address (I can't remember if it does though).
There's plenty of free tools that allow you to spoof your MAC  address.

Not to mention, I'd never do anything over a Un-Encrypted wireless
connection, FTP, Un-Encrypted IMAP/POP/SMTP, not to mention that some sites
don't use SSL for their members areas.

MAC filtering doesn't stop people sniffing your traffic nor getting on via
other methods. Sure, it'll put most casual people off but I still wouldn't
trust it.

Regards,

Alex