[Gllug] Paying to send email..

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 9 07:30:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006, Adrian McMenamin moaned:
> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 17:27 +0000, Nix wrote:
>> This was *really* badly reported by the media (just like SPF, which the
>> media also touted as a spam-killer when it has no such goal).
>
> Doesn't it? Seems to me that is an obvious benefit - in that it blocks
> falsified sender addresses. I suppose I am classing phishing as a subset
> of spam, but lots of spam seems to have bogus sender addresses.

Yeah, but the *intent* of bonded-sender systems is `you agree in
advance to pay vast sums of money if you spam'; since spammers won't
agree to this, it's creating a `walled garden' in which mail is known
in advance not to be spam. It doesn't cut down on spam volumes at all,
just lets ISPs reduce the volume they need to filter.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk