[Gllug] UPS & line filtering

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Feb 10 12:14:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 11:50 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Alain Williams writes:
>
> >So you are suggesting that I plyg the spike filter into the wall, the UPS
> >into the spike filter & the computer into the UPS ?
>
> Any reasonable UPS should include spike protection by default anyway.
> That said, I haven't had any experience with consumer level UPSes, only
> with the chest freezer sized variety.

I back up what Tet says. What you need is a decent UPS.
APC have an on-line calculator which lets you choose the model.
If the kit is in a rack, get a small rackmount model and put it in the
bottom of the rack. Use it to power the server, disk arrays etc.
SmartUPS 1500 should do you a treat.
For kit which you can't provide a UPS for use power distribution strips
which have surge protection.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk