[Gllug] fake ICMP replies?

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Fri Feb 10 14:52:26 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have this linux box that is set up to connect via GPRS, and provide
NATted services to a LAN. This is installed on a ship, so it roams
various GPRS providers.

Some of these GPRS networks (eg Vodaphone UK) do not forward ICMP
packets.

Enter a mail application, running on a windows machine behind this
linux box, that insists on pinging its mail server before asking for
mail; if the ping fails, it gives up. So if the ship moves into one
of these ICMP-free GPRS networks, the mail server stops working.

Is there a way I can make this linux router 'fake' ICMP responses, so
that this application always gets past the ICMP test?

I have an idea that I can do it with an IPtables rule, but at this
time on a friday, it's just not coming together...

Thanks!

Julian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk