[Gllug] Ethernet crossover wiring

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 10:06:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:29:20AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Do I understand you correctly?    -  you are proposing to wire all the sockets
> in 'series'   - ie daisy-chained on one long cable ??

I missed the plural on "socket"

I thought he was just wiring up a pair of sockets and wanted to use a
crossover cable between them so that he could use it to wire up two
machines in different parts of the building.

You can daisychain thinnet (10Base2) and thicknet, and various other
ageing/obsolete network types, but I don't know of a way to daisychain
10/100/1000/10000BaseT

If you're connecting more than 2 machines, you either need enough NICs
such that all machines can be connected in a chain (i.e.

machine . NIC ----- NIC . machine . NIC ------ NIC . machine . NIC -----
NIC . machine etc

(and variations of the above, e.g. a machine with 10 NICs in it to link
to 10 other boxes, acting essentially as a homebrew ethernet switch,
albeit Linux would give you some pretty fancy firewalling and routing
stuff to go with it!)

Or, you could splash out on a switch. IIRC getting even a 24 port
autosensing 10/100 rackmount one for £30 a year or two ago. It even
automatically detected whether you'd used a crossover cable or not, and
'just worked'.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk