[Gllug] just a quick question

Dani Pardo dani at enplater.com
Wed Feb 15 08:47:22 UTC 2006

En/na Rich Walker ha escrit:
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>

>>On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Dani Pardo mused:
>>
>>>   A server without Perl is like a Solaris machine with sh. When I
>>>   install a new Solaris machine, the first thing I do is install
>>>   bash.
>>
>>/usr/xpg4/bin/ksh is the POSIX standard shell (in a really stupid
>>place).
>>
>>I'd agree that the antique Solaris /bin/sh is utterly worthless, though.
>

> Are there *still* people who will pay for a computer with Solaris on?

  There are admins that resist to changes (maybe to busy to bother with
new things). So they are stuck with Suns. When you show them that with
bash you can use the arrow to go back in command history, they almost
cry in illusion.
   Others may be forced by their software provider. In my company we
*still* have an Sparc Classing on production 24/7, running SunOS
(solaris wasn't even born I think). It's amazing.
  But Solaris is OK, specially the new versions. Think it could be
worse: it could be AIX! It could be OS/400. Have you ever used the
pseudo-sh that comes with OS/400? What a joke..

Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com
Enplater S.A
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk