[Gllug] just a quick question

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:23:19 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Dani Pardo <dani at enplater.com> wrote:

(Rich Walker)

>> Are there *still* people who will pay for a computer with Solaris on?

Yes.  Lots, for lots of reasons.  Classic case being where they want
to run a commercial application on a 'supported' platform, and the
vendor doesn't yet support Linux.  This is still surprisingly common.

I'm also seeing increased demand for Solaris 10, whose performance and
features are much better than I expected.

> There are admins that resist to changes (maybe to busy to bother with
> new things). So they are stuck with Suns. When you show them that with
> bash you can use the arrow to go back in command history, they almost
> cry in illusion.

Don't be silly - this is possible with ksh which has shipped with
Solaris for as long as I can remember.

> Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk