[Gllug] the joy of SCSI

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Feb 28 08:55:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Christian Smith announced authoritatively:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Nix wrote:
>
>>/dev/sda:
>> Timing buffered disk reads:   70 MB in  3.07 seconds =  22.80 MB/sec
>>
>>/dev/sdb:
>> Timing buffered disk reads:   70 MB in  3.00 seconds =  23.33 MB/sec
>>
>>Then, quietly the syslog murmurs
>>
>>Feb 25 16:17:56 loki warning: kernel: sym0: SCSI parity error detected: SCR1=132 DBC=50000000 SBCL=0
>>Feb 25 16:17:56 loki warning: kernel: sym0:2: ERROR (81:0) (8-0-0) (10/9d/0) @ (mem c2800038:ffffffff).
>
>>From the source (drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_2/sym_hipd.c):

... which I should have checked. Perhaps if the problem happened again
I'd have bothered :)

> So, (8-0-0) are some representation of SCSI control lines. Check your
> cabling.

Well, I don't know if the parity error is on the controller or the cable.

The cable is quite new and has had no other problems to date. Still,
replacing it should be easy enough.

>>(The adapter is on ID 11; the disks on 0 and 1. There's nothing on
>>8:0:0.)
>
> Adaptor on 11? Why?

Ancient history and that's how it came set up. (Yes, it's quite
strange.)

>>I guess it's a transient cable problem (odd, the cable is a SCSI III
>>160Mb/s cable and I'm chucking 40Mb/s over it at most). But this isn't
>>a very nice way to respond to a transient cable problem, really.
>>I mean I didn't even know you could *make* SCSI buses run that slowly.
>
> You've used an old SCSI DAT drive, yes?

Thankfully, no :)

> It's quite a reasonable way of responding to cable problems, if it "fixes"
> the problems.

If the problem is a one-off, all it does is annoys the user.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk