[Gllug] Linux support options

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Feb 28 09:29:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:38:35AM +0000, Richard wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:

> >>For all I dislike Oracle (and that's quite a lot), it does still
> >>provide some features that can't be matched by the free software
> >>databases.
> >
> >PostgreSQL in particular has really terrible replication.  Slony is
> >bloddy awful and makes MySQL replication look good.  Then there's
> >clustering...
>
> Out of curiosity, what problems did you have with Slony?

The basic principle sucks.  In order to get slony working, you have to
change your schema.  It relies on adding triggers to every table in the
replication set and adding primary keys to everything.  The triggers
can conflict with other, non-slony triggers; they can also cause
database deadlocks.  DDL changes are painful under Slony.

It's a fragile hack.  Replication should be a core feature, not a
bolt-on.  Postgresql transactions are a core feature, MySQL transactions
are not; Postgresql transactions are much, much better.  MySQL
replication is a core feature and work much better; it doesn't offer as
many features as Slony but it's simple, reliable and easy to fix if
something does break it.

> There is a company out there doing some form of clustering for
> PostgreSQL

Expensive, proprietary bolt-on with a very small user base, possibly?

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"