[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 00:29:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Ken Smith prattled cheerily:
> Been trying out LVM this week. It rules! Why have I never tried it before? I
> feel like I've discovered the wheel for the first time - well that's a
> little extreme - but you get the idea....

Look out, though; pvmoving swap partitions seems to be decidedly
unreliable in 2.6.15, even if you've swapoffed: I've had cause to try it
three or four times and ended up with my swap device turned into a
SUSPENDED device-mapper target, the pvmove stalled, and the system
unusable (all fork()s hit D state).

Upon reboot pvmove noticed that it had been interrupted and restarted
happily. LVM's approach to robustness is truly excellent. :)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk