[Gllug] Linux support options

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 27 15:53:51 UTC 2006

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the options for supporting a major corporate Linux
>> deployment, and I'm wondering if there's a way to dodge Red Hat's
>> painfully high support contract costs (or their per-server pricing
>> model).
>

> Yes, don't use Redhat.  Use something supportable instead.  Debian
> springs to mind.
> <snip>

I can't see the customer going for it, in any way, under any
circumstances. Their imagination only just makes it over the line to
Redhat as is.

> I was contracted to a company that had a number of Redhat development
> machines running Oracle.  These machines would routinely require
> rebooting, were badly patched, and required a large amount of
> non-Redhat software.
>
> I replaced half of them with Debian and they suddenly went upward of
> 12 months between reboots.  The company has since moved their
> production systems to Debian.
> <snip>

I'm willing to concede that could happen, but that will have to happen
when they feel they can trust Linux in some sense, which they're not yet
sure of.

> It's a free market, they can charge whatever they like.  Quite why
> anyone pays for open source software in its own right is beyond me,
> though.

Quite. However, these guys want a warm, cuddly support contract to
"mitigate risk".

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk