[OT] [Gllug] Migrating Samba servers between domains - the hard way.

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 08:02:37 UTC 2006

On 10 Feb 2006, at 07:33, Nix wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Matthew Thompson mused:
>> Actually it is. There's no reason why getting MS software to work
>> shouldn't be as much fun as getting OSS to work.
>
> When I did it the lack of freedom to look at and fiddle the source
> felt like being in jail.

Not all of us are master C, Perl etc developers and the source code
makes little difference.

There's also the argument that at a certain size of company unless
the skills to support and document the "fiddling" are spread across
enough people it can be dangerous.

That's why I tend to use stock kernels and RPM packages of most items
and just tailor the config. Pretty much as I would do with a windows
box.

Yes Microsoft are a big company with a pretty nasty track record for
stifling peoplle and ideas if they don't follow Bill's big master
plan but the products that they're producing now - server side at
least - are proving themselves to be more and more capable and
configurable. The new version of exchange, for example, is now
configurable 100% from the CLI while some areas are not configurable
from GUI because the GUI is now just a tool to manipulate CLI tools.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk