[OT] [Gllug] Migrating Samba servers between domains - the hard way.

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Feb 10 10:59:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 10:11 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 08:02 +0000, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> > On 10 Feb 2006, at 07:33, Nix wrote:
>
> > > When I did it the lack of freedom to look at and fiddle the source
> > > felt like being in jail.
> >
> > Not all of us are master C, Perl etc developers and the source code
> > makes little difference.
> I disagree. It is immensely useful for technically clueful people to be able to look at the source code.
> You don't even need to be aiming at changing (for instance) the kernel
> source code. If you have (for instance) some obscure error messages in
> your system logs it is invaluable to be able to look through the kernel
> code to be able to figure out exactly where and why they are appearing.

And indeed, the thing that really stresses me when trying to investigate
problems in closed source systems (especially Windows itself) are the
error messages which convey nothing more useful than "Something bad
happened".  Trying to shield end users from technical information is all
very well, but it's absolutely vital to provide a follow-up means of
getting additional detail.  Windows is utterly dreadful in this respect.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk