Fw: [Gllug] just a quick question

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 14:24:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:46:55PM -0000, paul wrote:
> >>oh - I can't wait for the next reply!!!
>
> me too !!   This is shaping up good  -
> Just to let you know though - I take no pointers from anyone
> about grammar, that's more a matter of style than syntactical
> rules. Given the fact the English language has syntax, there is
> little one can fault in the way a person chooses to emphasise
> their meaning, and syntax is only the methodology by which
> meaning is applied - in other words if you fault the syntax
> there may not be a problem with the writer  - the reader may
> just not understand all the intended emphasis.

There are rules to English syntax and grammar, the same as there
are rules to a programming language. If you stray too far from
those rules you will not be understood by your readers. It is the
writer's responsibility to make sure that his readers can understand
him, and to do that he must be aware of his target audience.

When asking a group of people for help, it's well worth taking a few
minutes to make yourselves clear, rather than have them waste hours
trying to guess at what you may have meant.

Have a read of this web page about asking technical questions:

Now you originally asked:
Let's say I  make a mail group  for all the users in that group to recieve
mail from an account called thelist at ourdomain.com
Now I want to make it so that the group (lets call the group name "listers"),
also gets mail distributed to it, if the mail comes in from a particular
domain. so anyone emailing in from  xyz.com will be mailing the listers group
even if it is addressed to an individual within the group. so
mark at ourdomain.com could be the intended recipient but it will get diverted
to either the listers group or thelist at ourdomain.com
or majordomo, or is it using entries in the aliases file ?

Do you want to restrict the list to be available from only one domain ?
Do you mean domain to be based on the sender's 'From:' address, IP
range, or reverse DNS ?

Or do you mean that email coming from that domain, and addressed
directly to a member of the "mail group", is then copied to all
the other members of that "mail group" ?

Have you tried reading some books on Sendmail and mailing lists ?
The O'Reilly Sendmail book used to be the main reference book
and is sometimes called the "Bat book" because of it's cover.
O'Reilly also seem to have some other Sendmail books, including
a "Cookbook" for solving common problems.

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk