[Gllug] ssh attacks

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 21:38:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006, Dani Pardo announced authoritatively:
> En/na Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> Ditch passwords & switch to public key based authentication. As a minimum
>> I typically alter the SSH config of internet facing machines to set
>>   AllowUsers bob
>>   PermitRootLogin no
>>   PasswordAuthentication no
>>   GSSAPIAuthentication no
>>   ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
>>   PubkeyAuthentication yes
>>

>    Wha't I can't achive is to allow only an ordinary user to ssh (via
>    AllowUsers), and also root to ssh via the host RSA key, but disable
>    root logins with password. Mmm..

Run two sshds on different ports with different config files (via -f),
set the internal one up with a ListenAddress of 127.0.0.1 and the
machine's own IP address and firewall it off from the outside world, set
PermitRootLogin on the internal one, and add a stanza something like

Host localhost every-other-name-for-this-machine-I-can-think-of
 Port 22012

to /etc/openssh/ssh_config (assuming your root-login-allowed sshd is
listening on port 22012.)

--
`I won't make a secret of the fact that your statement/question
 sent a wave of shock and horror through us.' --- David Anderson
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk