[Gllug] Moving processor between boxes

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Feb 3 22:19:01 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have two identical machines doing nothing at the moment. Both have 2
processor sockets with only one fitted. I'm considering moving a
processor from one to the other to make it SMP. There is a sticker on
the case stating that if the heatsink is removed from the processor it
must be replaced with a new one. Is that likely to be strictly
necessary? Would it be sufficient to clean the old thermal paste from
the heatsink and processor and apply some fresh?

Cheers
Dylan

--
"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
                                                (Chinese Proverb)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk