[Gllug] UPS & line filtering

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Feb 10 11:12:26 UTC 2006

Alain Williams wrote:
> What UPS would you use for protection against this sort of problem ?
> It would be nice if it could talk to the Linux server so that it would
> power off if the supply didn't come back after, say, 1 minute.

There are two types of UPS, online and offline.  Offline ones are
cheaper and I suspect you could probably get away with using one here.
Choose anything made by APC.

APC units come with a special serial cable that you can hook between the
computer and the UPS, then all you need is "apt-get install apcupsd",
tweak the config files, and away you go.

> I notice that shops have power cable extensions (gang of 6 blocks) that claim
> to protect against spikes - any one any experience/knowledge of these ?

They basically work.  But by  "protect" they usually mean "cut the power
faster than a conventional fuse would".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk