[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Feb 9 09:34:21 UTC 2006

* Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> [060208 17:34]:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Ken Smith spake:
> >> I take it you didn't use LVM when you installed FC3? That would make life
> >
> > I'm just getting the idea of LVM
>
> Do. It's *lovely*.

Agreed - although I wish I could reliably use it on root filesystems.

And I tried to upgrade my FC3 installation using a FC4 DVD the other
day, only to find out that it couldn't recognise my 4 LVM/LVM2 volume
groups (historical pain) so I'm stuck.

> Combine that with resizing of LVM's analogue of `partitions' on the fly,
> without rebooting or even in some cases unmounting, and, well, it's *so*
> useful that I'm keeping everything but root filesystems on LVM these
> days, and have for years.

You still have to have resizable filesystems on the 'partitions', though
- don't you?

jack