[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 9 20:00:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Jack Bertram said:
> * Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> [060208 17:34]:
>> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Ken Smith spake:
>> >
>> > I'm just getting the idea of LVM
>>
>> Do. It's *lovely*.
>
> Agreed - although I wish I could reliably use it on root filesystems.

You can, if you use an initramfs rather than an initrd: with an
initramfs, your initial-root-fs and kernel will *never* *ever* get out
of synch (as the initramfs is linked into the kernel image), and gets
rebuilt automatically whenever you rebuild the kernel. :)

(But I haven't done this yet myself.)

> And I tried to upgrade my FC3 installation using a FC4 DVD the other
> day, only to find out that it couldn't recognise my 4 LVM/LVM2 volume
> groups (historical pain) so I'm stuck.

vgconvert?

>> Combine that with resizing of LVM's analogue of `partitions' on the fly,
>> without rebooting or even in some cases unmounting, and, well, it's *so*
>> useful that I'm keeping everything but root filesystems on LVM these
>> days, and have for years.
>
> You still have to have resizable filesystems on the 'partitions', though
> - don't you?

Yes, but ext2 and ext3 are resizable (even online-resizable to an extent),
xfs and reiserfs are at least growable... there seems to be no lack of
resizeable fsen these days.

And even if an fs isn't resizeable the fact that you can move things
around on demand, and `repartition' without rebooting is very useful.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk