[Gllug] OT - OSM Hosting

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 9 18:30:54 UTC 2006

SteveC wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Slightly OT but I'm hoping people here can help.
>
>As many of you know, I started something called OpenStreetMap[*]. Some
>of you are on the OSM list so apologies for seeing this :-) Think
>wikipedia for maps anyway.
>
>We're in need of hosting because I'm not at UCL any more and the
>machines are not very good and, er, 'borrowed'. We need hosting,
>bandwidth and machines. We're currently run off 5 desktop boxes but
>forsee that rack machines will be a Good Thing. We're also starting a
>foundation, or something, to support the project.
>
>So... given that people here work in all sorts of interesting places, if
>you can offer one or more of these (hosting, bandwidth or rackmount
>machines say you work at Sun and can donate boxes :-) then that'd be
>really useful.
>
>On the other hand if you know anyone who can offer hosting for desktop
>boxes then some of our problems go away.
>
>Thanks in advance, any questions lemme know or see this thread:
>http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/pipermail/openstreetmap/2006-February/002288.html
>

>[*] http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Stats
>    http://www.openstreetmap.org/news/
>
>have fun,
>
>SteveC steve at asklater.com http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Hi Steve,
you might be interested in the community mapping project mapomatix.
Once your street maps are done, people could use mapomatix to add custom
icons to the street maps.

http://mapomatix.sourceforge.net/

There is also this:

"it is our pleasure to invite you to participate to the next newsletter
coordinated by the euromovements network. The issue will be about "Maps
and social transformation". I do list below the call for papers in
several languages. I hope that you will find it interesting and that you
will spread it widely through your own networks,
take care!!
Alex- euromovements"

call out english: http://www.euromovements.info/english/news3.htm
French: http://www.euromovements.info/french/news3.htm