[Gllug] ping

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Feb 8 10:36:39 UTC 2006

Martyn Drake wrote:
<snip>
 > I've *never* liked  MessageLabs.  I had to
> use various RBL checkers to find out whether  the SMTP server was
> blacklisted and it was ONLY listed in SpamCop.

I was once considering using MessageLabs when I got a phone call from
them. They claimed a client of theirs had received messages containg
viruses from an IP address in our range and if I didn't reassure them
that I was "taking steps" they would have no choice but to blacklist our
address.
The IP address they quoted was our mailserver and I explained that it
was unlikely our Linux server would dispatch Windows viruses. They
couldn't give me many details because they didn't have the messages
concerned (or their headers) to hand (!). We then had a heated
discussion where I tried to get some kind of information about the time
the messages were sent, who they were sent to etc. and they claimed this
was confidential information. Eventually I got some timestamps from them
and checked the logs it turned out that we had received messages with
viruses from a (possibly spoofed) address on their client's domain and
they were trying to send them to false addresses at our domain. Our
server bounced[1] them as unrouteable and it was these bounces that
Messagelabs picked up.

So they phoned me to complain that I was sending their client viruses
that were actually legitimate bounces, albeit as a result of a spoofed
sender. They then (after half a day of me sorting this out for them) had
the audacity to ask if we would consider using their service as it has
many benefits. I canit remember exactly what I replied but I seem to
remember phrases like "protection racket" and "bullying" were used.

Ryan
[1] The server was running exim 3.2 at the time. I've since moved to
Exim 4 and through the wonders of ACL we no longer generate bounce
messages for unrouteable addresses we just reject the message at smtp
level. Saves a lot of overhead for our server especially as most of the
unrouteables were for spoofed (and false) addresses on our domain used
to send viruses from zombies.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk