[Gllug] ssh attacks

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 10:45:08 UTC 2006

John Southern wrote:

> First, what should I do? Is this a problem for every ssh port out there and
> how can I maintain some form of access to the machine. I tend to run this
> particular box headless and so would like some access remotely. Does anyone
> just use rsa keys and not passwords and if so is it anymore secure?

I always know which servers I'll be coming in from, so I use
/etc/hosts.allow to only allow ssh connections from a set of known hosts.

I used to get a lot of this but now I just get a daily report from
logwatch listing all the denied connections.

Dave...

--
Site: http://dave.org.uk/
Blog: http://blog.dave.org.uk/