[Gllug] ssh attacks

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 10:49:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:39:11AM +0000, John Southern wrote:
> I opened up an sshd on a box to be able to extract some info from a remote
> box. I went away and got the files I needed. However, I thought my link was
> slow so I looked at the logs. The messages log shows an ssh attempt every few
> seconds. I think it took about thirty seconds from first being opened to the
> first attack.
>
> Was I just unlucky and if so, what is the average time before an ssh box is
> attacked.

Unlucky, but I regularily get ssh attacks. Just live with it.

> Although not quite working through a dictionary attack, it is definitely a
> preprepared list of common user names. I traced this back to a host name of
> zz-13-91-a8.bta.net.cn from its IP address of 202.108.13.91

I insert the following at the top of my /etc/pam.d/sshd:

	auth       required     pam_listfile.so sense=allow item=user file=/etc/ssh/sshAuthorisedUsers onerr=fail

and I put a list of usernames into /etc/ssh/sshAuthorisedUsers of the people who I
want to be allowed to login to the box.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.