[Gllug] just a quick question

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 20:14:41 UTC 2006

Nix wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Dani Pardo mused:
>
>>   A server without Perl is like a Solaris machine with sh. When I
>>   install a new Solaris machine, the first thing I do is install
>>   bash.
>

> /usr/xpg4/bin/ksh is the POSIX standard shell (in a really stupid
> place).

/usr/xpg4/bin/sh ITYM. There's a regular ksh in /usr/bin/ksh too. And
bash is included in a full install of Solaris 10 - they have
incorporated their freeware into the product CDs (there are now 4, 9 had
2) and dropped the "companion CD".

> I'd agree that the antique Solaris /bin/sh is utterly worthless, though.

It is a bit strange still shipping Bourne as the default shell. Even AIX
doesn't do that (it uses ksh). But you don't have to use it. The only
problem it gives me is that I never change root's shell, and I don't
work as root much and it's not hard to fork off another shell.

BTW I don't think AIX is that bad but I may be a bit biased, I've been
using it since V2 in the '80s and it has got a hell of a lot better:)
Particularly nice features are the tightly integrated LVM (there is no
option but to use it), which also handles the software RAID, and the
"mksysb" system backup facility. Neither Solaris nor Linux does these as
well.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk