[Gllug] just a quick question

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 23:01:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Ian Northeast announced authoritatively:
> Nix wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Dani Pardo mused:
>>
>>>   A server without Perl is like a Solaris machine with sh. When I
>>>   install a new Solaris machine, the first thing I do is install
>>>   bash.
>> /usr/xpg4/bin/ksh is the POSIX standard shell (in a really stupid
>> place).
>
> /usr/xpg4/bin/sh ITYM.

No Solaris box nearby and /usr/xpg4/bin is in my PATH on all of those I
have access to: I forgot precisely what was where.

>                        There's a regular ksh in /usr/bin/ksh too. And
> bash is included in a full install of Solaris 10 - they have
> incorporated their freeware into the product CDs (there are now 4, 9
> had 2) and dropped the "companion CD".

Solaris 8 has bash too. :)

>> I'd agree that the antique Solaris /bin/sh is utterly worthless, though.
>
> It is a bit strange still shipping Bourne as the default shell. Even

*Original* ancient rotted buggy no-shell-functions-here Bourne.

> Particularly nice features are the tightly integrated LVM (there is no
> option but to use it), which also handles the software RAID, and the

This may become true on Linux as well; this is a matter of, ah, active
debate.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk