[Gllug] Mythtv/dvb card problems

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Feb 8 07:54:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 01:59 +0000, Paul Rayner wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2006, at 19:29, John Winters wrote:
[snip]

> > Once it's up and running it's very nice.  I now have two of the above
> > cards in my server and everything runs very smoothly.
>
> The disadvantage of having it all working is that I want to go and buy
> a second card too!

It's well worth doing, and very easy to set up (assuming you have a
spare slot).  There's nothing to do on the modules front and you just go
into mythtv-setup, add the second card and tie it into your defined
video source.  It makes a big difference to avoiding conflicts, whether
they be two programs which you want to record at the same time, or the
children wanting to watch live TV on their PC.

I actually have three now.  I put the (slightly unreliable) Nebula card
which I bought first into my playback box.  This gives me a remote
control on that box, plus means I always have a spare tuner with which
to watch live TV.

> I'm quite impressed with the mediamvp too.

What's mediamvp?

> The quality of the video
> streams is better than my cheap freeview box,

I noticed this.  I used to have a terrestrial digital box before the
original service (onDigital?) went bust.  Then I found the picture
actually worse than traditional analogue TV.  With MythTV, the main
channels are noticeably better quality than analogue TV.  Some of the
cheaper channels obviously don't use as large a bandwidth chunk and you
can see digitisation artifacts in the picture.

Regards,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk