[Gllug] Mythtv/dvb card problems

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Wed Feb 8 01:59:27 UTC 2006

On 6 Feb 2006, at 19:29, John Winters wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 19:03 +0000, Paul Rayner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently bought one of these:
>>
>> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CMP-DVBT20
>>
>> On 13 Jan 2006, at 08:12, John Winters wrote:
>>> which is cheap and so far 100% reliable using kernel 2.6.14.5 and the
>>> latest Linux TV drivers.
>>
> [snip]
>> Is there an easy way to test this card? Most google results just say
>> cat /dev/video0 | mplayer <args>, but my machine is headless, so
>> that's
>> not really an option, and there seems to be no way of setting a
>> channel
>
> OK.  Firstly check out the latest version of the drivers from the
> Video4Linux project and build and install them.
>
> You need both the saa7134 and the saa7134-dvb modules loaded.

This was the key thing I was missing - I loaded saa7134-dvb and mythtv
recognised the card. It seems to part of one of the packages I'd
already downloaded, but just wasn't being loaded into the kernel. After
quite a bit of fiddling (mostly with mythfilldatabase and tuning) it's
all working.

> Once it's up and running it's very nice.  I now have two of the above
> cards in my server and everything runs very smoothly.

The disadvantage of having it all working is that I want to go and buy
a second card too!

I'm quite impressed with the mediamvp too. The quality of the video
streams is better than my cheap freeview box, jumping forwards and
backwards through mpegs is almost instant, and pausing TV works. The
project still lacks some features, documentation is limited, and the
software has a few bugs, but the main features work nicely.

> HTH
> John

Yes, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul
--
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~ 32-38 Leman St, London. E1 8EW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk